Sunday, March 12, 2006

SU Basketball

Been a cool 4 days watching the SU basketball team. I must admit, I really didn't watch too many of their regular season games. I found them very frustrating to watch earlier in the year. I happened to go to lunch late on Wednesday, turned on the tube, and they were playing. I had no idea. Caught most of the second half including Gerry McNamara's running 3 pointer to win it against Cincinnati. This was a must win to even have a shot to get into the NCAA tournament. They followed it up with a stunning victory over #1 UConn in another noon game on Thursday. Again, I was fortunate enough to see the second half and overtime on lunch (although the overtime did cause me to take an extended lunch). Another huge performance by McNamara. Friday night another clutch performance by G-Mac gave the 'Cuse a win over Georgetown. This team just will not be denied. Saturday night, I was REALLY tired and fell asleep watching the championship game against Pitt. I woke up when it was over, just in time to see SU celebrating. This is a team NOBODY gave any chance of winning the tournament, but they did it. As much as I disliked watching them earlier in the year, these guys are the guttiest, grittiest bunch I think we have had at Syracuse, led by McNamara. I can only hope they continue this into the NCAA tournament, and that someone will step up next year to replace McNamara. For a little guy, they will be HUGE shoes to fill next year.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home